1. There is little work.
2. Old, stale bread will always have a purpose and never be wasted.
3. You don't have to use cups or special equipment. You can use the Pyrex 9" x 13" baking dish.
4. You can make it the night before so it's ready for baking in the morning.
Found this on Pinterest from food blogger Roxana Yawgel and modified it just a tad in that I made 1 1/2 amounts of more custard, put in a splash of vanilla, and cooked everything a little slower. This is a rich dessert and really more like a bread pudding, ie great for the occasional splurge or brunch.
I originally tried these in a 2 1/2" ramekin, but felt this was "too much"--they expand substantially--so, I would suggest changing that to a smaller cup (which would also help the waistline) or just making it in a baking dish altogether. Of course, if you want to be fancy...
Hope everyone is having an awesome Labor Day weekend. Is it fall already?
Ramekins or Muffin cups (or use 9" x 13" pyrex baking dish)
6 - 8 cups of stale bread, preferably Challah, but Italian or French ok as well
1 1/2 cup half-and-half
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chocolate chip / chunks
1. Wash your hands.
2. Spray your baking dish or ramekins or muffin cups with PAM spray
3. Tear your stale bread into 1/2" cubes and place in a bowl.
4. Make your custard by whisking the eggs, cream, milk and vanilla together.
**you can choose to layer the bread and chocolate in the ramekins and cover with custard, but I found it easier to let everything soak in a big bowl until ready to bake.
8. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325F degrees. Remove plastic wrap.
9. Make sure whatever baking dish you use, there is 1/4" space at the top. Do not overfill to rim.
**if using muffin cups or ramekins, I would suggest placing them on a cookie sheet to bake.
**if using pyrex dish, cookie sheet not necessary.
10. Bake for:
--30-35 minutes if using 2 1/2" ramekins or pyrex dish
--20-25 minutes if smaller ramekins.
12. Drizzle with powdered sugar or a little syrup. Or both.
12. Got Milk? or great coffee?