One vegetable in particular that gets a bad rap in our family is zucchini--"its mushy" "i dont like the texture", etc. How do you counter that? Well...typically by deep-frying it as they do at Maggiano's here in Chicago--then everyone wants a piece, but unfortunately, it is not the healthiest of options, nor the most convenient to have a large vat of hot fat boiling in an off-campus apartment kitchen!
Tip: It is critical to slice the rounds 1/4" and not bigger...unless you want mushy!
Crispy Parmesan Zucchini Rounds with Garlic AioliEquipment:
2 medium zucchini, approx 1 lb total, 1/4" slices
1-2 Tbls olive oil
1/3 cup parmesan
1/4 cup dry Italian or plain bread crumbs
1/2 tsp salt
Pinch of cayenne
Freshly grated black pepper
1/2 cup reduced-fat mayo (substitute greek yoghurt for 1/4 cup for healthier version)
1/2 lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pinch cayenne
Salt & Pepper
1. Wash your hands and the zucchini.
2. Preheat your oven to 450F degrees.
3. Spray your baking sheet with PAM spray.
4. Slice the zucchini into 1/4" rounds, no bigger!! Avoid mushy.
6. Combine the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.