Simply eating a handful of nuts is going to get old sooner or later no matter how healthy you might want to be. So, having other ways to sneak a handful of nuts into your eating and fueling habits is key.
Side dishes are the perfect answer for you nut dilemma. Use bulgur wheat or couscous for this Mediterranean-inspired 'salad' packed with dried fruits, creamy feta, nuts, and, when in season, pomegranate arils. One of my favorite dishes for sure.
Walnuts have the highest alpha-lenolenic acid (ALA) and polyunsaturated fat content amongst nuts; thus, making it a great source for healthy plant-based fats and omega-3-fatty acids. However, they can also taste bitter at times..and then, nuts are omitted...don't do that!.
As an alternative, I will occasionally substitute cashews or pistachios which have a smoother, buttery and richer flavor profile along with a lower total fat content; but, unfortunately, have a significantly lower concentration of polyunsaturated fats. Just choose one!
Couscous with Dried Fruit & Nuts
- 1 cup couscous
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth, hot
- 1 cup of toasted walnuts, pistachios, almonds or cashews
- 2 oz block feta, crumbled or cubed
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup dried dates, diced
- 1/2 cup green scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbls fresh mint
- 1 medium apple, finely diced
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2-3 Tbls olive oil
- 1-2 Tbls honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a glass bowl, cover couscous with vegetable broth to 1/4" above the grains.
- Let stand x 20 min.
- Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, honey and salt. Adjust for sweet and salt to taste.
- Finely dice the apple and marinate in the lemon-honey vinaigrette.
- Fluff couscous and add nuts, pomegranates, dried fruits, scallions, and feta.
- Separate the apples from the vinaigrette and add them to the couscous.
- Taste the salad at this point.
- I actually add very little of the vinaigrette because it is already so flavorful, but you decide how moist you want the salad to be.
Money Saving Coupons for College Living.
Disclaimer: Some material features sponsored links.
reat things you’ve always shared with us. Just keep writing this kind of posts.The time which was wasted in traveling for tuition now it can be used for studies.Thanks fresh produce RFIDReplyDelete
Definitely go for a built-in stove if you want the convenience of two ovens. kitchen productsReplyDelete
Clearness here for breath and soul are associated for its power inside and being express with each breathe out.ReplyDelete
The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me. pecorino dopReplyDelete
I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. pecorino toscanoReplyDelete
This natural product resembles a little spiky pineapple and starts in Africa. It contains nutrient and some B-complex nutrients just as calcium, potassium and iron. Inside kiwanos are seeds which resemble those of an enthusiasm products of the soil eat it similarly as one of these; scoop out the seeds and eat them, or use them to beautify treats. They taste similar to a banana, or a melon, lime or cucumber, so are unquestionably worth difficult in any event once.exotic fruitReplyDelete
Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! gourmet nutsReplyDelete
Guavas are local to the jungles of America however these days developed all through the world. The most well-known developed guava bears white or yellow fruits about the size of an orange or apple. https://www.bchealthinfo.com/news/3ReplyDelete
I really enjoy the blog. Really looking forward to read more. Keep writing.ReplyDelete