If you buy the graham cracker crust, this takes 10 minutes max to prep and 15-18 minutes to bake--the hardest part is letting it set up for 2 hours after you've baked it! You thought a college student couldn't make pie? Think again!
I have gone ahead and demo-ed "How-To-Make-Your-Own-Graham-Cracker-Crust", but if time is of essence, buy one instead!
(Adapted from 'The Pioneer Woman's Holiday Cookbook')
--If using a larger (12" diam.) or deeper pie dish, you should make a double batch of the custard filling!
--If you don't have a pie plate, use your 9"x 13" rectangular baking dish and double the filling!
--save the egg whites for breakfast.
Key Lime Pie
'Fine' side of regular grater (or zester)
Regular Pie Plate (or buy the pre-made one, usually 8"-10" diameter)
1 Store-bought graham cracker crust (or homemade as below)
or Homemade :
2 Graham Cracker packets, crushed
5-6 Tbls of butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 egg yolks
1 Tbls of lime zest
1/2 cup key lime juice (or use regular lime juice in a pinch)
1. Wash your hands.
3. Prepare the store-bought crust according to the package and set aside.
Or make your own as below.
4. Crush 2 graham cracker packets (16 full cracker cookies) in a ziplock bag with a rolling pin or can.
5. In a mixing bowl, combine the crumbs with melted butter.
6. Add sugar. It should resemble a coarse meal.
7. Add the crumb mixture to the pie plate and flatten.
8. Bake the crust x 5 minutes. Set aside and cool.
9. Combine and whisk sweetened condensed milk, yolks, zest and lime juice into a smooth custard.
10. Fill the prepared crust and bake for 15-18 minutes or until custard sets.
11. Remove from oven, allow to cool.
13. Sit in a room with whipping cream or Redi-Whip…and enjoy a food-coma…or share some!
Post a Comment