I stumbled upon this recipe for the soup version while flipping thru Cooking Light. It seemed so simple and so easy that I practically made it "just to see" if they were talking smack.
Turns out, the results were pretty darn good (and pretty much gone) within 30 minutes of getting the bowls out.
Cooking Light kept their promise--simple, satisfying, healthy alternative to the restaurant version. In fact, this past November, this recipe was featured in their 'Best Recipes of Our First 25 Years' edition. If you don't believe me, try this recipe originally by Ann Taylor Pittman / October 2010.
*I do add more olive oil and butter than the original recipe, and I have listed regular chicken broth to simplify for college students, but the original recipe has 2 tsp olive oil, no butter, fat-free/low-salt chicken broth.
Medium mixing bowl
Whisk or fork
Functioning stove top
Electricity or current electric bill paid
4 (6 ounce) potatoes (red, yukon, russet), approx 1 1/2 lbs.
1-2 Tbls of olive oil*
1 Tbls of butter*
1/2 c onion, diced
1 1/4+ c chicken-broth*
3 Tbls of all-purpose flour
2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided 1/2 c and 1 1/2 c
1/4 c low-fat sour cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
2 strips bacon (microwaved on paper towels) chopped
1/2 c sharp cheddar, shredded
2 Tbls green onions, sliced
Extra low-fat sour cream
1. Wash your hands.
2. Wash the potatoes and pierce with a knife
3. Microwave potatoes on HIGH for 10-13 minutes until tender.
4. Remove potatoes, cut in half and set aside to cool.
5. In 3-qt sauce pan, heat olive oil and butter on MEDIUM.
6. Add diced onions and sauté for 3-4 min. Stir frequently. Do not brown.
7. Add chicken broth.
8. In a separate bowl, whisk flour and 1/2 cup of milk together until smooth. Add remaining milk.
9. Add milk-flour to saucepan. Bring to boil for 1 minute. Stir frequently.
10. Add sour cream, salt, pepper. Adjust to taste.
11. Remove meat of potatoes and mash. Disgard the skins.
12. Add coarsely mashed potatoes to soup / saucepan.
13. Get your bowls and fill them up.
14. Garnish soup with bacon, cheddar, sour cream, and green onions.
Let me know what you think. I know what Jon thinks. Take care and have a great week.
Savor your education and time at college. I had blast!
"Don't wish it were easier. Wish you were better" Jim Rohn
|iPad Mini Case 'Believe'|