Today has been a leisurely day of eating, chatting, and catching up with a dear friend. We originally planned to meet at a restaurant, but, the idea of fighting Easter crowds seemed counterintuitive if we hoped to have meaningful conversation and time together.
Instead, we decided to have a "banquet" breakfast buffet with fresh orange juice, coffee, fresh fruit, yoghurt, sausage-egg strata (next week's blog), and Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake.
I had discovered this recipe on Pinterest (www.alexandracooks.com) over Christmas and made it for Christmas Day breakfast. Jon, having great taste of course, asked for the recipe...so here it is.
As with the Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Bars, or most baking for that matter, you will need an electric hand mixer...hope you've invested in one by now, such as 7-speed Kitchen Aid Hand Mixer or have a generous friend to borrow from.)
Electric Hand Mixer
9"x9" or 9"x13" Pyrex, greased
Measuring spoons & cups
Cheese grater with "fine" side OR Microplane grater
Fully powered oven
Electric bills paid & functioning outlets
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
2 tsp of lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
7/8 c of granulated (white) sugar
1 Tbls granulated sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour (1/4 c for berries)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cups blueberries, washed & dried
1/2 cup buttermilk
7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 Tbls
1. Read the recipe first.
2. Clean kitchen and counter space.
3. Wash your hands.
4. Preheat oven at 350 F degrees.
5. Toss berries in 1/4 c of flour. Set aside.
6. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
7. Cream butter, 7/8 c sugar, lemon zest with mixer until light, fluffy, and silky.
8. Add egg & vanilla. Mix well.
9. Add flour mixture slowly 1/3 c at a time ALTERNATING with buttermilk to butter/sugar mix.
10. Mix well after each addition and scrap down bowl walls with spatula. Once flour and buttermilk gone:
11. Gently FOLD (do not stir) in berries until just mixed.
12. Pour into greased Pyrex baking dish. Shake dish back and forth to spread batter evenly. Do not flatten with a spoon.
13. Sprinkle with 1 Tbls of sugar.
14. Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
15. If not done, bake another 5-10 minutes.
|Mother's Day iPhone Case|
|Mother's Day Coffee Mug|