Easy to make. Plenty to share. Leftovers rare. Mix, bake, serve.
Cheese can be expensive, but anyone planning to eat at the table can chip in a few bucks--flavor totally worth it!
If you like pasta cheesy, add a little more cheese.
If you like more moisture, add a little more sauce at the end.
Yep, that's about it in a nutshell, or Pyrex.
If your are really 'forward thinking' put half of the mix (uncooked) in a Tupperware and freeze it...sealed with duck tape and your name on it! Just be sure it's thawed before baking!
15"x10" Pyrex Rectangular baking dish
2 12" x 8"
(Or any combination of Pyrex)
5-qt sauce pan (for boiling pasta)
Water with 2 tsp of salt
Large, large mixing bowl
2 lb Penne, Rigatoni, Rotini, or other short tube pasta, partially cooked, drained, set aside.
1 to 1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese
1 to 1 1/2 cups Fontina cheese
8 oz Ricotta, part-skim
4 oz Cream Cheese or (Mascarpone), softened
1/4 cup Half-and-half
1 1/2 (28oz cans) crushed tomatoes including the liquid / puree in can
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
2 tsp basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt & Pepper
1/2 cup Mozzarella, shredded
1 jar of your favorite Marinara / Vodka sauce
1. Wash your hands.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
3. Partially cook 2 lbs of penne pasta in salted boiling water (approx 8 min), drain and set aside.
IT IS KEY THAT THE PASTA IS UNDERCOOKED BEFORE BAKING.
Otherwise, this will turn to a hot, soggy mess.
4. In a large mixing bowl, mix the cheeses and rest of ingredients (to salt & pepper)together. Combine well.
5. Add drained pasta to tomato/cheese mixture. ( It should be slightly soupy, key word 'slightly', NOT 'swimming, drowned, submerged')
6. Empty into the prepared Pyrex dish(es)
7. Sprinkle pasta with 1/2 - 3/4 cup of marinara sauce and 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella.
7. Cover with aluminum foil.
8. Bake covered @ 425 degrees for 15' Remove foil and bake another 10-15' until top is golden.
9. Cool for 10' before serving.
10. Add salad, garlic bread--you got a meal!
Easily made the night before to throw into the oven after classes the next day.www.zazzle.com/bandiliciousinc*