(adapted from Epicurious Mobile App and Cookbook)
Equipment (for both versions):
10" Non-stick skillet you have grown to love
Stove-top with functioning burners
9"x13" Pyrex Dish, ungreased
Small sauce pan
A. Single Guy Version
2-3 1/2"-3/4" slices of Challah bread (or one-day old French Bread, or plain white bread even)
1 cup whole or 2% milk
1 tsp cinnamon sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pure vanilla (optional)
1. Wash your hands, even if you are possibly eating alone.
2. Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, and salt.
4. Get your 10" skillet ready with 1 tsp butter or PAM spray (healthier)
5. Put your slice into medium heat skillet.
6. Top with fresh berries or plain old maple syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar.
B. Single Guy with Friends / Oven-baked French ToastThis recipe just has a few extra steps, but can be done the night before if you are aware people may be dropping by.
6 3/4" slices of Challah bread, ends and crust removed to fit into pyrex evenly
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons Karo syrup
5 large eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half (probably could use 2% or whole milk instead)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp orange juice (optional) or zest
1/4 tsp salt
Preheat OVEN to 350F degrees.
1. In a small saucepan, melt the butter, brown sugar and Karo syrup.
2. Stir until it is smooth and well-mixed.
3. Pour into pyrex dish and spread evenly.
5. Make your custard as before with the eggs, half-and-half (or milk) mixtures, vanilla, orange juice/zest, and salt.
6. Pour custard over top of bread (ignore this picture since it has a double row of bread)
8. Fluffy and soaked in caramel goodness at the bottom. Just scoop yourself and your friends a helping.
9. Make your friends contribute by bringing fresh berries, juice, milk, coffee, or the maple syrup.
10. Sprinkle with lemon juice or powdered sugar. Don't think you'll need butter!
|Mother's Day Mug|
|Happy Mother's Day Water Bottle|