Time for a challenge, folks!!
And, if I failed to mention this before, Blue Apron is to thank for this great new recipe perfect for college cooking! The name 'Kedgeree' may be weird, but this makes easily 4 servings to share with friends--share a meal, feed a friend, no college kid hungry!
(Adapted from Blue Apron recipe)
Large non-stick skillet
Small saucepan, for rice unless you have some left over
2 Cod fillets, salt and peppered on both sides
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup cooked basmati or white rice
1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 lime, zested and then quartered
1/4 cup flour
1/4 medium cabbage, thinly shredded
1" ginger, minced
Spices (depends on your flavor preference):
1/2-1 tsp ground ginger
1/2-1 tsp ground garlic
1/2-1 tsp ground coriander and/or cumin
Salt & Pepper
1. Wash your hands.
2. Cook rice, shred cabbage, slice onions, mince ginger, and zest lime.
3. Prepare the crispy onions:
- Toss thinly sliced onions in 1/4 cup flour
- Add 1/4" layer of vegetable oil to another skillet
- In small batches, fry the onions until golden brown, remove to paper towels and salt.
- Set aside until ready to serve.
4. In a large skillet over MED-HIGH heat, sear cod fillets on both sides in olive oil x 2-3 min until cooked. Set aside to cool before shredding.
7. Add slightly beaten eggs to the ginger and stir frequently.
8. Add cooked rice, shredded cod, wilted cabbage, zest, and spices.